Get the wholesome benefits of whole grains everyday
Fueling your active family means getting the wholesome benefits of whole grains. Just what are whole grains? They are grains in the least processed form that contain all three parts of a grain kernel:
- Bran (contains antioxidants, B vitamins and fibre)
- Germ (contains B vitamins, vitamin E, protein, minerals and healthy fats)
- Endosperm (contains carbohydrates, protein and some vitamins and minerals)
Some examples of whole grains: rolled oats, whole grain oat flour, quinoa, quinoa flour, barley, millet, whole grain whole wheat, brown rice, spelt, and bulgur.
Benefits of eating whole grains:
- Slows down the release of sugar into the blood
- Keeps you feeling fuller for longer
- Lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes
- Lowers inflammation
- Keeps you “regular”
- Helps your gut bacteria flourish
- Keeps your heart stay healthy and lowers your chances of stroke
An easy way to know if a food contains whole grains is to look for the Whole Grain stamp on the package from the Whole Grains Council. This means that the food contains at least 8 grams of whole grains in every serving. Each of the Goodums bake mixes qualifies for the Whole Grain stamp.